Friday, November 19, 2004

The Heart-less land Hypocracy in action

I got this forward yesterday about how the conviction in the scott peterson case proves legal precedence for the reversal of roe v. wade. Then they go on to tie it all up with the argument that an 8 month pregnancy is no different than an 8min one when it comes to terminating it. I am an open minded person, arguments could be made, as always my contention is that people of faith that where the overwhelming deciding factor in electing this president should use their actions and faith to fight for what they believe, not the constitution. How would they like it if Boeing decided to use their church to assemble nuclear missiles?

So then I started thinking, thinking about the heart behind this, here I am angry and wishing there were some way I could offend born-agains as much as they offend me with 'praise the lord' bumper stickers, and then I start feeling like a dick and a hypocrite. First I am angry for people trampling on my right to have different beliefs, where do I get off wanting to play the same game? second and more importantly, my big sister is a born-again Christian, so I can't declare war on something when I don't believe in war and on something precious to someone I love.

Then it hit me: War is murder, unsafe cars are murder, environmental destruction is murder. So the republicans have really pulled a fast one, on well meaning people. George convinced them that he was a good god fearing Christian, a bald faced lie if you ask me, and got them to vote for them, with the promised land of overturning roe v. wade, a victory for their most sacred issue.

He has killed 100,000 Iraqis, 1200 US troops, the environment, and our future. In an unrelated story they just upped the national debt limit to 70% of the value of our entire economy, looks like we are chasing the USSR into the economic grave.

So, how do I fight this battle? still working on it, but my first thought is to go after the support of people of faith, rather than fight them. Why? because technically true Christians SHOULD be fanatical supporters of most of the issues I support, all I need is for them to compromise on abortion and stay the fuck out of gay marriage but on nearly every other issue they should be lined up right behind me. #1 they should be very vocal anti-war protestors, if they were as fanatical about that as abortion, we would have no military at all, think about it. Of course, they really can't support the death penalty, while I am conflicted on that one, the large number of Christian right pro-life pro-death pro-war hypocrites really chap my ass.

So, you want to be a good Christian? I say go for it! don't be half assed, help your neighbor, give to the poor and appose anything that leads to the death of humans, that's what Jesus would do, he would have voted for Kerry, yup Kerry. Kerry would have stopped the killing as fast as he could and gotten out of Iraq ASAP, he would have signed the Kyoto treaty and as a bonus, while he cant make laws against gay marriage or abortion because both are in the realm of faith, not government, he is one of you, and would support those issues on a personal level, what could be better? the leader of the free world on your side all the way around.

But you voted for Bush?

Guess you are not so Christian after all.

1 comment:

Staffordworks said...

Fight is on, the next post, excerpt from an email is actually a letter to my sister, she is a born-again and I thought that before I launch a war on fundamentalism I should do the 'christian thing' and try to find a common ground, so far all I have gotten in return is quotes from scripture that only solidify my will to stop this.

did you know that 'in god we trust' AND 'one nation under god' where both added in the McCarthy era? remember that the next time someone says 'if our founding fathers didnt want SOME church in their state then why'd they put it on our money' - they didn't and so, they didn't - ass! (said with verve)

There is no gravity, Christianity Sucks.